The first ever Micro, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (MSMEs) Day will be celebrated on 27 June 2017 and every year thereafter. Please join the International Trade Centre and its partners in marking this occasion.
MSME Day highlights the strong contribution of MSMEs worldwide to livelihoods, communities and economies and the need to support MSMEs towards their success.
- Raise public awareness about the importance of MSMEs to economic growth and international development.
- Advocate for and provide increased support to MSMEs.
The campaign slogan is ‘Small Business, Big Impact.’
- MSMEs make up over 90% of the world’s economy.
- MSMEs account for more than 70% of all jobs worldwide.
- There are 500 million MSMEs in the world today.
- MSMEs are major job providers and catalysts for growth.
- MSMEs are a critical force in realizing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- MSMEs promote innovation, creativity and decent work for all.
- MSMEs require access to capacity building and financial services to reach their full potential.
- Informal MSMEs are encouraged to join the formal (official) economy.
- MSMEs are encouraged to participate and grow in international, regional and national markets.
- MSMEs are encouraged to adopt sustainable and responsible business practices.
- International competition from larger businesses can stifle MSMEs’ growth.
- MSMEs tend to not benefit from the economies of scale, political leverage or ease of access to capital that large firms profit from.
- Standards and regulations can be difficult to meet and respect for MSMEs.
Who takes part
The International Trade Centre (ITC) and the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) are joining with other partners to observe MSME Day:
- UN Member States
- UN system organizations
- Business organizations
- International and regional organizations
- Non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
How to mark MSME Day
- Research presentations
- Policy discussions
- Practitioner workshops
- Business owner testimonials
- Communication activities
ITC will host and take part in events in Geneva, New York and Buenos Aires.
MSMEs and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
In line with the theme of MSME Day, ‘Small Business, Big Impact’, MSMEs directly or indirectly contribute to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals that ITC supports.